Clan Barclay International seeks to foster the spirit of kinship and pride existing among all individuals withBarclay ancestry, regardless of spelling. Three genealogical activities are administered by the Clan Barclay Genealogist.
Carolyn L. Barkley, FSA Scot Genealogist
RR 1, Box 710
Roseland, VA 22967
1. Clan Barclay DNA project was established in 2008 and exists to support genealogical research and the linking of Barclay [Barkley, Berclay, Bercley, Berklay] families worldwide. This project is available for a fee and is provided by FamilyTreeDNA. Participation in the DNA project is open to all interested individuals, whether or not they are members of Clan Barclay International.
2. The Barclay Genealogical Database was established in 1992 to provide a clearinghouse for Barclay family data and history and to bring together individuals and groups of people who collect family data about all references, branches, spellings and occurrences of the surname Barclay. Although the Barclay Genealogical Database is a project of Clan Barclay, participation in the genealogical database does not constitute membership in Clan Barclay. Similarly, clan membership is not required for participation in the database.
Submission of family data to the database is free. Researchers may submit information in any format including family group sheets, pedigree charts, abstracts, extractions, photographs and photocopies of original materials. Documentation of material is encouraged. GEDCOM, Family Tree Maker and Master Genealogist files are accepted by e-mail attachment. Collateral line information is welcomed as an important addition to the database.
Once received, the information will be added to the database. If the information links to data already held, the submitter will receive the merged file as well as the names and contact information for other submitters for the family line. If the information is new, a new family line will be established and the submitter will be contact when new information is submitted that links to the new line.
The following queries to the Barclay Genealogical Database are answered at no cost:
- Specific family lineages or information on specific individuals. (The genealogists reserves the ability to charge $.20 per page for files over 25 pages in length.
- Names and address of correspondents researching specific lines
- Historical information about Scottish Barclay families.
- Names and addresses of genealogists who provide similar services for other surnames.
Major Historical Families
- Barclays of the Bank Line
- Barclays of Bury Hill Line
- Collarnie Line
- Gartley Line
- Ladyland Line
- Mathers Line
- Towie Line
- Urie Line
Variant Spelling and Associated Family Names:
Barclay Genealogy Links:
Please feel free to use this information to research your own family history.
|Last Update||Database Link|
|23 Apr 2001||Barclay Geographical Gazetter|
|16 Feb 2001||Revolutionary War Roster|
|16 Feb 2001||War of 1812 Roster|
|16 Feb 2001||Civil War Union Roll of Honor|
|16 Feb 2001||Civil War Roster – Confederate Soldiers|
3. Clan Barclay International seeks to publish original or reprints of materials relating to the history and genealogy of the Barclay surname. Please contact the genealogist for a list of materials currently available.